Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Being unique is bad for solving problems

If you feel that you are somehow unique (or special), chances are that you are going to miss a whole truck load of potential problems to solve and possibly exploit! The short and simple reason for this: you're not going to relate the problems you face on a daily basis to those of the masses.

I'm a software developer. My goal in life: remove pain, automate stuff and make life simpler. So, it stands to reason, when i come across a problem I also have an opportunity to remove pain, automate something or just generally make life a little easier.

If i recognize in myself that i am not unique, then my problems are probably being experienced by other people just like me. If i solve a problem for myself and extend the solution in such a way that it is also available to other people, then i'd say I'm also making something that people might be prepared to pay for, or at the very least talk about.

The logic follows simply: the less unique i am, the more common my problems. The greater the number of solutions i have to offer, the greater my chances of creating something that people are prepared to pay for.

So, in essence, it's all about attacking the common base and recognizing that my solutions could also be solutions for others.

No comments: